In the early 1800's small groups of Gwinnett pioneers, who were settling what was then a frontier country, organized Baptist worship services around the area. This congregation held a church conference in May of 1823 in what is now Lilburn, Georgia, and constituted Camp Creek Church. The church took its name from a nearby creek, which begins in Dekalb County, crosses the old Hightower Trail (which then separated the Creek from the Cherokee Indians and now is the boundary between Dekalb and Gwinnett counties) and flows through present day Lilburn. The original members were: James Hale, James Wells, Tyrie Landers, Thomas Mason, John Price, Rachel Williamson, Mary Ward, Ridda McKinney, Susan Lee, Frances Landers, Prudence Wells, Sarah Cannimore, Elizabeth Hale, and Martha Adams.
Elder James Hale, one of the founding members, became the first pastor. He was born in Johnson County, North Carolina in 1778, during the American Revolution and came to Oglethorpe county Georgia while a boy. He became a Christian early in his life and began preaching in 1811.
Elder Hale was a soldier in the War of 1812, and although he did not serve as an official chaplain, he often preached during church services with his fellow soldiers. After the War, Elder Hale lived in Clarke County Georgia, and in the state lottery of 1820, he drew land lot 101, approximately 250 acres in Gwinnett County. This tract of property is present day Cole Drive to Miller road, which is south of Camp Creek Church. He worked five days a week as a frontier farmer and spent his weekends pastoring Camp Creek Church. Elder Hale served Camp Creek Church for 38 years until he passed away at the age of 77.
Following Elder Hale, Elder D. T. White served Camp Creek Church from 1857 to 1859. For the next three years, Elder H. D. Teat pastored the church, and Elder G. P. Bradley shepherded this flock during the Civil War. From 1865 through 1867 Elder W. D. Almond was pastor; from 1867 to 1913 Elder J. T. Jordan served Camp Creek Church. Elder J. O. Moore pastored from 1913 to 1917 as well as from 1920 to 1924. Elder G. W. Jackson served from 1917 to 1920; Elder P. C. Upshaw pastored from 1924 to 1925. In 1925 and during the early years of the Great Depression Elder M. C. Banks served as pastor of Camp Creek, and he was followed by Elder M. J. Cheek from 1931 to 1933. Elder D. S. Moore served the church from 1933 to 1937, and Elder Brice Haigler served Camp Creek for the next ten years. Beginning in 1947, Elder Keaten served Camp Creek Church for 33 years. From 1990 to 1997, Elder Charles Chapman pastored the church, and Elder John Melvin, who is our current pastor, began serving Camp Creek in 1998. Elder Coy Thomas has also been serving Camp Creek, since 2009.
In 1825, the first building was constructed followed by a second in 1852 and a third in 1906. The fellowship hall was added in September 1986 in addition to the baptistery and HVAC in 1989. New pews, carpet and leaded glass windows were added in 1991. The first members baptized in the new baptistry were Lou Fleming, Dot Garner and Carlton Garner. In 2002, the bathrooms were remodeled, and a mother/baby room was added. In 2005 Deacon Clyde Sprague and Brother Jerry Winterstein remodeled the sanctuary to remove the dropped ceiling and reveal the raised wooden one. In 2013, Brother Sprague remodeled the fellowship hall, removing the wall paneling and installing new flooring, a food serving island and new cabinetry. In 2016 pews were reupholstered and new sanctuary carpet installed. In 2018 bathrooms were once again updated.